Sunday, November 21, 2004

 

Do I have to explain myself

Why I like Mac

1) It Works
Yes, I know OSX is based on FREE BSD. Do I care? No. Why? Because it works. The apps that come with OSX work with OSX. I don't have to try to find drivers and I don't have to put in CABS CD # 8. My additions work out of the box. I bought an AirPort Express card, plugged it in and it worked. I didn't have to buy a second more expensive card becasue the first one didn't work, and it works with the 1 and only operating system on my machine. Yes, my card cost $80, not $40 for a Linksys, but it popped in -- no worries -- and life was good. It doesn't lock up or shut down like a Windows machine (3 restarts in 1 year).

2) It has always worked.
I just switched to Mac at OSX v10.3. Maybe earlier editions of Mac or OS 9 sucked hairy balls. I don't know. But I've used Windows 3.1, 3.11, 95, 98, 98SE, NT4, NT5, ME, 2000, and XP. I've heard good things about XP but I had XP on a machine at work and it totally sucked. I hated it.

3) The cost for quality is fine with me.
I looked at two brands of laptop when I bought my iBook: IBM and Mac. I went for these two because they are supposed to be the strongest and best performing (in terms of wear and tear) of any laptop. When priced on as many factors as I could think of, RAM, hard drive, weight, battery life, screen size, and even processor speed the Mac was only slightly more expensive. For the quality of product I am fine with the price I paid for my laptop. I don't consider it throwing money away and the lack of problems I have had has been well worth any premium I paid.

4) I enjoy the interface.
Any bouncing or effects that are active on this machine I have turned on by my very own will, the machine came plane-Jane, and I like how it looks and works. Aqua is not free, contrary to popular belief, and Apple sends the dogs ... lawyers ... after people trying to copy Aqua.

5) Most of my 3rd party software works.
Word, Excel, and Powerpoint all work better on my Mac than they ever did on any version of the Windows OS I ever used. The fact that Word has never locked up on my Mac says so much to the quality of those that brought OSX together and those who re-wrote Word for the Mac. The only software I ever have trouble with is AOL and the Gimp, both of which die regularly on Windows machines (including XP). For 3rd party software sitting in my dock alone we have AOL, Netscape, Fire, Real Audio Player, Word, Excel, and Powerpoint, Adobe Acrobat Reader, Maple, Matlab, SETI, Gimp, and finally Intellisys. And, as state earlier, I've only had trouble with AOL and Gimp. This is notably unlike Windows where most software was known for falling flat on its face at any moment.

I think I'm done for now. I like my Mac and I have my reasons.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?