Saturday, February 19, 2005

 

Moving the gases

So I've been working with a little shop down near Atlanta to put a new exhaust system on the Monte. The car is an SS and sounds like a puss. It needed an upgrade but I really didn't want to pay for this. But now that I must pay for a new cat, might as well do the entire thing.

There are going to be some modifications here. First is the new catalytic converter. I don't know who's cat I am putting in but it is supposed to be a nice unit that the shop ordered. The car also has a 4' long resonator in it that is getting ditched. The car has some serious growl that is all being stopped by the current exhaust and I want that sound getting out of the back. There is also what appears to be a trap where the O2 sensor is located (if you don't know what a trap looks like then look under your sink where the water drains out, the massive u-turn is a trap). We are going to use 2 1/2" pipe from the cat back and get rid of this u-turn. I almost wonder if the u-turn is needed to change the flow of the gases for the O2 but I know that O2 sensor is much less critical than the one in front of the cat so I really don't care.

So now we have straight pipe from the cat back to the gas tank. I must still make the big u-turn around the gas tank. This is good because it should help reduce exhaust velocity and get rid of some of the higher pitched sounds (i.e. I don't want the Monte to sound like a weed-whacker or a Honda. After the tank the single 2 1/2" pipe will y out to dual 2 1/2" pipe. Each of these pipes will feed a Dynomax Ultraflo muffler. The single 2 1/2" to dual 2 1/2" should also be very effective in reducing the exhaust gas velocity. The Ultraflo muffler is basically a big glass-pack.

The new system should sound very nice. I have had M and his friends help me design the system. The goal is to sound near stock at idle and highway speed. But have a nice growl on acceleration and when under power. I am also hoping for a slight horsepower gain but we'll see.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?