Saturday, March 05, 2005

 

Awe, dag-nab-it, blow out

Today I took my Infinity 255a out of my Monte Carlo. Before I took it out I hooked it back up to test it. The subwoofer never moved and the rears sounded awful. I hooked the rears up to the head unit and they sounded much better. One of the 40A fuses for the amp was blown out. I was also very scared that the amp had blown up the sub when the amp failed. I tested the sub and it checked out with a solid 2ohms -- whew.

I then began the deconstruction of the amplifier. I am an electrical engineer for goodness sakes and I had to see what was up with this thing. I took several pictures while I totally destroyed the amp. I've had nothing but trouble from the day I bought it, had to have it fixed once, and am tired of dealing with the problems. I thought I would at least take a look at it. Once I got the amp apart it was clear that some surface mount components in the sub amp section were blown out. I don't have the time, patience, or skill to fix surface mount components especially on an amp that has had so many problems.

At least I didn't blow the sub.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?