Thursday, April 28, 2005

 

My Soap Box

My best friend is a pharmacist. My girlfriend, knowing that fact, sent me a link to this article:

Absolving pharmacist's conscience

Apr. 15, 2005 12:00 AM

Since Gov. Janet Napolitano has vetoed the "conscience bill" that would have allowed pharmacists to refuse to fill abortion and emergency-contraception prescriptions based on religious or moral views, I have a solution:

The pharmacist should just tell the patient that he is out of the medication and can order it, but it will take a week to get here. The patient will be forced to go to another pharmacy because she has to take these medicines within 72 hours for them to be effective. Problem solved. - Dan Gransinger, Scottsdale
The writer is a pharmacist and pharmacy manager.


The reason for a “conscience bill” is because the pharmacist, in the general case, finds the emergency-contraception prescription morally objectionable due to religious beliefs. The author needs a bitch slap. The pharmacist would obviously be lying. How could any pharmacist deny someone a prescription, by lying mind you, not have a moral objection to their own lying and hypocrisy? How could any pharmacy manger (this is kind of pointed to you Mr. Gransinger) allow a pharmacist to lie to customers?

My best friend used to be a pharmacy manger in Tucson, Az but recently moved back to Indianapolis, In where he is no longer in a management position (due to his own choice). As a pharmacy manager, I hope he would have reprimanded any pharmacist for such behavior. If the pharmacist continued their behavior, I hope he would have had them fired. Now as a lowly pharmacist, I hope he makes it a quest to report these people.

I do not agree with abortion in most cases. If you talk to me about the subject I think you will, however, find I am very reasonable and am mostly concerned about the over life of the child. My personal beliefs on quality of life are much lower than many others simply because I know where I came from and how far I have made it; I feel too many people give up to early. This being said, my main objection to pharmacists making up the rules as they go along on a “moral” or “conscience” basis has more to do with the fact that making moral or conscience based decisions for me is not their job. What happens when a pharmacist quits handing out pain prescriptions because a certain percentage, one that is morally objectionable to the pharmacists, ends up being used, not for pain but, by drug abusers? I think I might just go into my job tomorrow and tell the boss I will not pull another cable through a ceiling because I find the action morally objectionable.

Comments:
As a bartender, we're definitely allowed to cut someone off if we feel they're too inebriated. In fact, should a patron leave our bar and get in a car accident or really any kind of accident that's attributed to drinking, we are also in trouble, since were the last place that served them. We're responsible for them getting out of our bar. We can call a cab for them, sometimes we may pay for a cab; we have discounts for some cabs and, in extreme cases, we can call the police. Being "out of Vodka" is a legal matter, not a moral matter.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?