Sunday, May 01, 2005

 

First Timer

I slept outside last night. I did have a good reason; a better one than getting drunk and passing out in the front yard. I did my first overnight trip on the Appalachian Trail.

Saturday was very rainy but, I'd been listening to the weather on scanner, I figured things would eventually clear up enough for a hike. Things have just been getting to me recently, nothing big really, just things that add up and try my patience and I need some sort of get away. So even thought it was spitting and there were threats of more rain, I took off around 1:00pm for a 9.4 mile hike from Unicoi Gap to the Low Gap shelter. The first 1.4 miles is a 1000' ascent of Blue Mountain followed by, what basically amounts to, a 8.0 mile 1000' descent to the Low Gap shelter.

It never did stop raining Saturday. Most of the time it was the kind of rain that you can stay dry in though. The rain is so small and your body is so warm from the hike that the water just evaporates. Well, you stay dry except for your shoes. Even with the rain it was still a good hike. It was misty out and you could hardly see more than 50-yards, or so, in front of you. I'd never been hiking in that kind of weather so it was very interesting. I'm pretty sure I saw a coyote too. I just barely saw it as it ran around a corner, spun around, and quickly headed back the way it came. Angus was all bristled up making it very interesting as I continued to walk around the corner. But as quick as I saw him he was gone and I saw nothing else of him than the skid mark in the mud.

One thing that surprises me about the Appalachian Trail is the number of people on it all the time. Even though it was rainy and supposed to be cool, I passed probably a dozen people on my hike to Low Gap shelter. If you want to be alone for a while the A.T. is not really the place. When I got to Low Gap around 6:30pm I was shocked to see several tents and a full shelter. I had not brought a tent, since I don't have one, and wasn't quite sure what to do. The people at the shelter were very welcoming and several of the people hanging out in the shelter were actually the owners of the tents. As it would turn out, most of the people were from Chicago and we ended up getting along fine and having a good evening. They kept trying to give me their food even though I brought a ton.

I was kind of looking forward to a solo event but things turned out nicely. The people at the shelter had already scavenged for firewood and started a big fire that lasted past midnight. I brought my propane lantern thinking I would not start a fire of my own. It turned out to be of little use and much extra weight. My new water filter pump worked out well -- I used it to fill up my two 1L bottles a couple of times -- and kept me in good water throughout the trip. My sleeping bag is only rated down to 40F. I was worried I would end up very cold by morning since it was supposed to get down to 43F. My Coleman sleeping bag did a great job. Now that I have a sleeping bag tall enough for me I can hunker down in it to stay warm. I was also sure to bring my sock hat, which turned out to be a very wise decision.

Morning came way to early. I did not sleep well. Angus kept growling at various noises and the dying fits of the fire. One of the guys in the shelter kept having coughing fits of his own. I guess I probably slept okay from about 1:00am until about 5:00am but by 6:00 or 7:00am several people from the Chicago group were up, about, and making noise. I did finally take some of their food, rather liquid, when they offered me coffee. I packed up, leaving my old pair of socks hanging from the shelter rafters by accident, and headed out around 8:30am or so. The hike back was chilly to start and I was sore. My sock hat turned out to be useful once again since it was also kind of windy. It was, however, much more clear and sunny; I finally got to see all of the views on my way out that I had missed on my way in. Things were rather uneventful on the way back. I chose an easy section so it was just an 8.0 mile slow climb followed by a 1.4 mile down hill back to the car. By mid-day it was warm enough to take off my flannel shirt and I was back in the car headed for home by 1:30pm. I spent just over 24 hours in the woods and it was a great experience.

I am looking forward to doing some more hiking very soon. Now that I have a sleeping bag, a pack (that needs some slight work), and the ability to make clean water, I am really only limited by the amount of food I can carry. Even though there are several people out on the trail, seemingly at all times, it is nice to get away from humanity for a while. Sometimes on the trail, you can't hear anything but the noise you are making. As I was headed back down the hill for my car I could hear the cars and motorcycles coming through the gap bringing me back to the world of work and responsibility before I think I was ready.

I'm tired, I'm sore, and I will continue to be sore for the next few days. These trips are well worth it, cheap once you have some of the materials, and a great get away.

Comments:
I just joined the Applachian Trail Conference (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/). If M doesn't get the boat back for this weekend I might just head out again.
 
Congrats on your first AT overnighter! Yes, it can be a bit crowded out there, but as you noted, hiker folks are generally a friendly bunch.

--Waterfall
ME-GA 2000
 
Whoa, I was so wrapped up in other topics I didn't even notice I had another comment here about my hike. I have, since this post, done another over night trip and it was great. Still surprised at the number of people on the trail but now much more understanding of how the trail is so well worn in (reminds me of the paths along the woods in a cow pasture). And the people I have met, so far, have been great. I am looking forward to many more hikes.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?