Monday, June 20, 2005

 

Atlanta Chopper

We've been having some real trouble at work, which is sad since there are only three of us: me and the two owners. One of the two owners has very little planning capability. He is very good at specific job performance but if he is loaded down with more than one task it totally overloads him. We are trying to plan for the future of the business while working current jobs, and two of us are leaving on vacation for the entire last week of June. Plus, I leave to start my Ph.D. program in August. In other words, there is a ton to get done, no time, and one of the owners is just about to collapse.

Things are getting to the point in the company where I feel like we are nearing the internal working environment of American Chopper. The owner that can't plan reminds me of Paul Jr and I, more often than not, lately, feel like Paul Sr. We've tried meetings, agenda sheets, notebooks, e-mails, action items, phone calls, reading and discussing project management articles, and nothing seems to work. He works on the one thing he is focused on, wants things to change, won't change anything himself, lets his temper rise, will concede a point then run off and do the opposite of what he just conceded, and becomes very defensive whenever any of this is pointed out.

Things could be more frustrating on one hand or less frustrating on the other depending on how one looks at the situation. I was brought in to do very basic work; I needed a job. The owners, luckily, figured out what I could do for them, and decided to tap me as a resource for far more than originally planned. One owner has made significant changes in the way he works. He has taken on serious responsibility he never thought was even possible or should even be his. Even though it all seemed so far out of reach, he is excelling at his new tasks. If neither owner would have listened I would be frustrated but probably would have given up long ago. But with one on the right track it is difficult. While I want to give up, I keep pressing. I hate to fail and if I don't have things moving forward, the company growing, on its own, and both owners working at the business operations I won't feel like I have succeeded.

Good thing I've got a size 12!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?