Saturday, August 06, 2005

 

JIT

Well, I went shopping tonight. Best Buy had the cheapest price on the Toshiba of any of the local stores. On closer look of the Toshiba I was unimpressed. The plastic was thin and cheap (things are bad when you have to grade the quality of the plastic) and the front panel inputs left you stranded if you were to ever loose your remote. As I was looking around one of the Best Buy employees asked me what I was looking for and then directed me toward and open box Samsung. While I have been looking for a 30" with speakers on the bottom (so it will fit in my cabinet) I ended up purchasing the 26" open box with speakers on the sides. It barely fits in my cabinet.

Once I carried the heavy SOB up the stairs I started trying to figure out what it would take to get all of my AV equipment in my cabinet again. For my AV cabinet I use an 80 your old armoire. I used to have all of the audio components sitting on an internal shelf but the weight of all of the equipment caused the shelf to droop significantly. The last time I used the cabinet (about 3 years while living in Kokomo) I ended up putting all of the audio stuff on an external cart; it looked like shit. After a long trip to Lowes I cut some oak and put up my new shelf. The long trip to Lowes was mostly caused by my inability to find the kind of support I was looking for. After much pounding, measuring, cutting, fitting, cutting, and fitting I was ready to install everything.

The install of all the components is not a trivial task. I could list all of my components but the quantity isn't the issue. The big issues is just trying to squeeze all those wires into a cabinet that is much to small. I also make sure to route my power wires separate from my other wires. Where ever power wires cross other wires it happens at right angles. This helps to keep noise lower.

Once I got everything hooked up and all of the fitting done I sat down to watch some television and was rewarded grandly. I missed the F1 Grand Prix in Hungary last weekend because I was moving. In fact, I've missed the last couple of Grands Prix and that doesn't make me happy. But tonight, after hooking everything up, for some unknown reason, my basic cable now includes a somewhat snowy version of Speed TV and tonight is the re-air-ing of the Hungary Grand Prix. So after about 6 hours of shopping and hard work to get everything installed now I get to sit down, have a few beers, and enjoy the fruits of my labor.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?