Sunday, August 14, 2005

 

A New Hike

I am planning a new hike for Labor Day weekend. I do not yet know my schedule for the school year so I have no idea what day I will start the hike. The goals of the hike are to cover a big section of the trail I have never hiked, get the beginning of the AT, and get a good workout.

These are the four days of hiking I have planned out.

Day One
Start at Hwy 28 on the Approach Trail, go over Springer Mountain (the official start of the AT), then end the day at Hawk Mountain Shelter. The full day length is 10.6 miles.

Day Two
Start at Hawk Mountain Shelter and hike to Gooch Mountain Shelter for a hike of 7.5 miles. This is kind of a short day but should allow us time to do things easy after the first kind of long day.

Day Three
The long day. If we were bringing tents I would probably shorten this day and lengthen the fourth day out some. But tents add weight and the shelters are generally pretty nice and also near water. This day starts at the Gooch Mountain Shelter and takes us to Woods Hole Shelter. The last 4 or so miles of this 13.5 mile day include a gradual up hill hike of about 1000'. This is up hill is the start to Blood Mountain.

Day Four
The final leg. We will start at Woods Hole Shelter, go over Blood Mountain, then end the day at Neels Gap. This is the shortest day of only 4.1 miles.

The length of the full hike is 35.7 miles. I already told some others about this hike that may want to come too. Just let me know if you have the equipment to live outside for four days and want to come along.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?