Thursday, August 24, 2006

 

The day my Apple became a Dell with Windows

I really like my Mac. I've enjoyed using it.

Today, however, I'm pissed.

Sony made batteries for laptops utilizing a faulty process that may end up generating a fire in the final application.

They made these batteries for Dell, who subsequently recalled the batteries. Now, Apple has announced they've used some of the same batteries.

I know my G4 Mac shares quite a bit in common with the PC in terms of hardware these days. Its generally been a good thing since it helps keep costs down. The RAM for my laptop is the same cheap 'ole RAM you can buy for a PC. Same goes for hard drives. And with USB I can pretty much use any peripheral on the market: just like a PC.

My problem is that Apple has known for quite some time that they had an issue with these batteries since they announced the fire hazard along with the general recall. On their site it says I should quit using the battery immediately. So, they've known about it for a while and they've also delayed their announcement more than a week from Dell's announcement. In other words, THEY'VE HAD TIME TO PREPARE FOR THE RECALL!!

If they've had time to prepare for the recall, then why doesn't their site work? Why can't I just use the site to return my battery? Sure, I'm supposed to be able to, but it isn't working.

They also have a phone number to call with a special menu option, "press 5 if your laptop may become a flaming ball." For the first dozen times I tried the "press 5" option I was either disconnected or got a busy signal. I finally got through and waited in the cue for 30 minutes for them to tell me that the system is overloaded and they can't put in the information either.

Nice job Apple. Reminds me of the days when I cussed at Windows every day.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?