Monday, January 29, 2007

 

Updates on Trucks

The truck does have front wheels and tires now. Even though I ordered a full set of tires for the truck two weeks ago, I'm still waiting for the rears to arrive (Grrrr).

The truck had a leaky axle seal on the passenger side. I replaced the seal. In replacing the seal, I noticed the end play adjuster lock was missing. This is not good. This is probably what led to the seal failure, and I probably could have lost an axle while running down the highway, but I'm glad I did not. So I replaced the axle retainer and reset the end play and I'm good to go there.



The image above shows the engine bay. Anyone that knows Mopar can see it is a big block. It is actually a 440ci engine. But under the not so shiny air cleaner is the worst of the worst: a Quadrajet carburetor. Also known as "Slober-Jet." I've ordered a remanufactured, original equipment Holley 4160 from Summit Racing. I also ordered the electric choke conversion kit. At some point in the past, the divorced hot-air choke on this was trashed. They are next to impossible to find a replacement for. So, I get to upgrade to an electric choke even if I don't really want to do so. But it is okay, since it should lead to smoother operation once properly adjusted.

The next change is likely to be a disc brake conversion for the front of the currently all drum brake truck. Big blocks and drum brakes don't mix well with crazy Atlanta drivers.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?