Tuesday, January 30, 2007

 

... when good ideas go bad

I thought carburetor day would be fun. I was wrong. Things came apart to easy yesterday for the reassembly to go correctly.

First, the carb I ordered was an old style 4160. So old, in fact, that it would not accept the electric choke conversion. A quick call to Holley proved what I was seeing with my own two eyes. I then called Summit to see what other options they could / would suggest. It was already obvious they didn't know the Holley line so well when it came to the old stuff (not that I do either) so I decided I'd give the carb a try anyway, and then bastardize some kind of mechanical linkage for the choke.

I put the carb on and hauled my sick girlfriend outside (thank you) to check for fuel leaks while I turned the engine over. I only had to tighten things down a little bit to stop the fuel leaks. Of course, it didn't want to start because it is cold outside and the choke wasn't hooked up. I cranked and cranked and cranked. Finally, it started up. But all was not well. First, it would idle okay, and I could mash the throttle down and it would rev up okay. But if I touched the throttle a little bit it would spit fuel out the top and the engine would die. I decided to investigate this when I realized the carb was leaking fuel either from the top of the rear fuel bowl where it meets the body or from the fuel transfer tube. This is where I finally decided to give up.

After I went to the store go get beer, I sat down with the "internets" to do some research. The people on Moparts, who are usually more than helpful, were totally silent on the subject. I also searched Holley's website. It would appear as though there is an answer to my question in a 750 carb with an electric choke already installed. It should be here by Friday.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?