Sunday, August 31, 2008

 

Hiking

Went for a little hike over the holiday. Yeah, I know it is Sunday and I'm already back.

Long story short, things aren't going so hot in my PhD program. I have passed my comprehensive exams, but on Monday, my adviser said that she really didn't think she should be my adviser anymore.

I really don't have too many ideas on what to do about my adviser.

I did finally realize that this is not MY PhD program, but THEIR PhD program. The path is idiosyncratic, but only upon their approval. If I want or need to do something different or look for an exception, it flat doesn't matter. If, on the other hand, they need to deviate from the [unwritten] rules then that will always be acceptable regardless of the individual consequences.

And even though I'd love to tell them what I think, I, for one of the first times in my life, cannot. I just want to get the hell out of here with a PhD and never look back. The best way to do that is to just shut up, work on a dissertation, and do what they ask when they ask.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?