Friday, July 17, 2009

 

Portland Brewpubs

Rogue is the one most beer drinkers will have heard of. Deschutes is not.

Rogue beer list was long but after trying three I only had 1 I liked and it was not the right time of year for it. The waitress was an idiot that didn't know about beer. The inside of the ale house (we ate outside) smelled like stale beer poured on the floor (aka. fraternity smell). The only good thing was the beer and cheese plate. We didn't go back. Admittedly, this was Rogues ale house and not their actual brewery. We may go there in a few days when we're in Newport.

Deschutes had a long beer list as well but, unlike Rogue, I never tasted anything I didn't like. Alex found a beer she loved too. We ate at this place for lunch and came back for dinner. Everything we tried, beer and food, was fantastic. The waitress still couldn't answer my question but she had much more a clue than the one at Rogue. This was also not the main brewery for Deschutes but they do brew some of their beers at this location.

Moral of the story: Rogue sucks, Deschutes FTMFW!

Comments:
Not only did I find a beer I really liked at Deschutes (and didn't want to switch from) it was also a gluten-free beer, something Rogue didn't have. They also didn't have anything like the organic beer or the sour cherry beer I had, either.

Rogue's beer list, though I didn't strike out with any beers I had (probably due to careful selection to avoid their usually overly-bitter-hopped ales), seemed like they had too many kinds, and really needed to pare it down and focus on some distinct kinds, not just create a new beer every time they thought up a great name.

Plus, Deschutes had reasonable beer prices, and you could clearly order a half-pint, which I think is brilliant.
 
I almost forgot about the prices. Rogue was $5.50 - $5.75 for 16oz and Deschutes was $4.70 for 20oz. The "half pints" were 10oz for $2.75! That's getting close to Terre Haute prices for micro brew beer.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?