Thursday, August 27, 2009

 

Too Much

My car is a piece of work. There are parts of it I like. There were only 3000 of these made originally. The t-top cars were also hand built. There aren't that many cars around these days that are hand built. I don't know how many of the C/S '86 Daytonas are t-top cars but even it it were all of them, and we lost 100 per year since they were new (I know, it isn't likely a linear function but an exponential function instead, but it is a freaking estimate so get over it) we're only left with about 600 or so of these cars on the road. It is a neat and unique car. It was very highly optioned for '86 and still has some options you don't see to often these days 23 years later.

But the car often fails. Weekly, at least, something goes wrong that makes me want to set it on fire and turn it in for the insurance money. God knows most of these really did burn up because of electrical problems or the stupid way the fuel lines attach to the fuel pressure regulator. I've worked long and hard these past couple of years to make it a fine working automobile. And when the weather is just right, taking the t-tops out is wonderful. Really wonderful. The car is a convertible without the commitment.

Lately though it has had me in fits. The fuel pump and fuel delivery to the engine nearly have me in tears. The "experts" for this car and others like it are at as much of a loss as I am. Even if I were to rip all of the fuel delivery system out and replace it wholesale I'm not sure my problem would go away. When it runs well, it is a nice car. For the past few months, nearly continuously, it has not been a nice car.

I need to graduate if for no other reason than to find reliable transportation.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?